Fresh start

Tomorrow is New Year’s Eve, and I had the idea today to start up a sequel to my first (and not very popular) blog, Countdown to 40. I listed out some ambitious goals to accomplish before I turned 40. Some I achieved soon after 40, and some I never achieved, and some I surpassed my original goal. At the present, I find myself in a bit of a rut and but with some big dreams. By making measurable goals, I think I can break out of this feeling of being stuck.

I’ll start with the positive. I have a super fun and adorable husband and 2 beautiful chihuahuas. We own a condo in Brooklyn, we have a close-knit community in our building and the neighbors are great. I have a stable job that I’ve been at for 10 years, in the not-so-stable fashion industry. Home ownership was a very good financial move that has paid off time and time again. 

Now here’s the struggle. A year ago I had an extreme sciatica flare up that took me a good 6 months to be in the position to work out again. And most recently, I spent 2 months with painful heel spurs. I have a lot more aches and pains these days, when my mind wanders I wonder if it’s arthritis or fibromalyglia. Or just life. I always thought I had control over my aging destiny as long as I stayed active. But it feels harder to maintain. Is it just in my head? Should I try to push through? Will spending more money help? Do I have to just put in my time with physical therapy or is there an easier way? Do I need more gadgets from Amazon? Who knows!

So here’s my goals to achieve in a little less than 2 years, Oct 24, 2025:

1. Increase my salary to a specific number I will keep in my head. 
2. Pay off debt
3. Make it to the top 3 leaderboard at Cyclebar (keep in mind, some of the people I’m competing with are half my age!)
4. Increase my VO2 max to 34, measured with my Applewarch. This is a measurement of cardiovascular health, this would be in the excellent range for my age group. I was at this level and higher before Covid, but not since.
5. Lose 40 lbs. 
6. Start a business with my husband.

I think that these goals are attainable and age-appropriate. But I recognize that I am not taking the proper actions to achieve these goals. 

My first steps will be to assess what actions and hard decisions that I need to be making. And a sober January will help me with health and financial goals, so that seems like a good place to start. 

Some positive things already in motion:
1. Regularly exercise about 3 days a week, booking classes through Classpass— reformer Pilates, yoga, spinning.
2. I walk a ton living in NYC, 5 miles per day is usual without trying.
3. I recently started working with a dietician. She left the company, and I have an appointment with a new dietician on 1/6.
4. I have been Pescetarian since 18 years old. No way will I ever go back to eating meat because I just don’t have a taste for it.

Not sure yet how I will ring in the New Year. I’m feeling a little partied out lately, and trying to keep focused on healthy body and mind. 



Comments

Popular Posts